See what happened to my MacBook? The lithium battery failed and pushed the mouse pad right out. If this ever happens to you, do NOT try to charge it, because it can explode, or at the very least, release noxious gases. The catastrophe was spontaneous. I looked over and saw the lid was open and when I opened it all the way, this is what I saw. The price of fixing it is more than the computer is worth, so I bought a new-ish MacBook at a sale at one of our local schools.
Here’s a closer shot of the carnage:
The old computer is in our garden shed until I can get it to the computer repair place where they can safely remove the battery and dispose of the computer. It is not a good idea to keep it in the house.
Here’s a link to more information about this scary and dangerous phenomenon: