Basic Black – With Leaves

Petunia "Black Velvet" photo: Ballhort

I was perusing my latest “Fine Gardening” magazine (April 2011) when I came across a blurb on black petunias.

Developed by the Ball Horticultural Company, (who brought us the “Wave” petunias) the  three varieties of black petunias are “Pinstripe” “Black Velvet” and “Phantom.” I can see these paired beautifully with very pale pink, yellow, white or chartreuse plants – or gold or silver or whatever strikes the gardener’s fancy.

Petunia "Phantom" photo: Ballhort

I like the intriguing creative possibilities that these offer, and I will be anxious to get my hands on some. The Black Velvet is especially appealing to me because the petals look so soft, and almost beg to be touched.

I did some reading on black flowered plants, and it appears that gardeners either love them or detest them. It’ll be interesting to see how the public welcomes the new black petunias. My guess is they’ll sell like crazy.

Petunia "Pinstripe" photo: Ballhort

I don’t know who’s going to be offering these plants. I expect Ball is doing a pretty good job selling growers on them right now. Hopefully we’ll be seeing them in our local nurseries at planting time. Oh, and these are also being marketed as cool plants for Halloween, so don’t be surprised if you see them for sale in the fall, too.

"Black Velvet" again. photo: Ballhort

Advertisements

About dirtynailz

Writer for a daily newspaper, gardener, tree hugger, orchid-grower, photographer, animal lover, hiker, wilderness seeker. Proponent of clover in the lawn and a dog on the bed.
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to Basic Black – With Leaves

1. HerbDoc says:

I’m not a fan of petunias (too sticky) but I have to admit that the “Pinstripe” and Phantom” are striking. You’re absolutely right when you say they’d be gorgeous as accents, especially in containers!

2. Joyce C. Torrice says:

Actually I think it is beaautiful…..it is a beautiful, interesting, and conversation piece to any flower garden.
    thanks

3. HerbDoc says:

The Burpee Gardening catalog arrived today with the Phantom, Pinstripe and Black Cat petunias for sale. The price is quite high…$16.95 for 3 plants (plus shipping and handling of course). They’re listed as “Burpee Exclusives” so I wonder if we’ll be able to purchase anything like them around here.

• dirtynailz says:

I think I’ll wait and see if any make it to our local nurseries. If they’re available, I will probably try some. (can’t…resist…new…plants…)

4. stine says:

Love those Phantom Petunias, unfortunately I can’t find them 😦

Christine from Belgium

• dirtynailz says:

Hi Christine and thanks for reading!

Sorry you can’t find the petunias where you live, but the fact that Belgium has some of the best food in the world should serve as some consolation!!!!!
      Jealous…very jealous.

5. carcrazygrrl says:

Love, Love, Love them so sorry I found them so late in the season, my garden next year is going to be soo full of these!

• dirtynailz says:

I recently discovered one rather unpleasant thing about these petunias – their flowers, if they fall on a pale deck, leave purple stains that are almost impossible to get out. Just keep that in mind if you grow them.